De-flour your diet, for health and vitality!
How much flour do you actually eat compared to eating the whole, intact grain? Did you have a chance to observe and think about it?
Eggs and bacon on a toast? A coffee and a croissant for breakfast (or is it only French people doing this?), a sandwich or bagel for lunch, a donut as a pick-me-up snack in the afternoon, a big bowl of pasta for dinner? So many missed opportunities to eat whole grains and fuel our body with the right energy as well as fiber to feed our gut microbiome!
Here are a few ideas to upgrade your breakfast and start your day well:
- Mix and match any type of whole grain topped with any type of fruit for a sweet breakfast and any type of veggie for a savory one, and any type of nuts and seeds.
- Oatmeal with flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds and berries (steal cut oats or even better: oat groats),
- Quinoa with peanut butter, cashew date chocolate sauce and a banana,
- Millet with apples, cinnamon, walnuts and maple syrup,
- Buckwheat and Rye mixed with lentils, topped with kiwi, strawberries, cherries and hemp seeds,
- Barley with lentils, spinach, onions, mushrooms, bell peppers and peanuts,
- Brown rice with broccoli, kale, carrots, tempeh and sesame seeds,
Notice that all those options will cover one to two servings of fruits or veggies as well as a serving of nuts and seeds!
Adding lentils to your grains is great: super easy to cook, the taste will go mostly unnoticed while some of your protein needs for the day will be covered (and even more fiber and nutrition!)
Other ideas without whole grains, but replacing your traditional breakfast:
- For a lighter breakfast: Fruit and veggie smoothie or smoothie bowl with white beans and chia seeds (the difference is that the smoothie bowl has a thicker consistency and is eaten with a spoon),
- Tofu scrambled with veggies and roasted potatoes (see the recipe posted earlier in this group).
Let us know if this inspires you to make some changes!
[photo of today's breakfast : steel cut oats cooked with vanilla, cinnamon and blueberries in the Instant Pot, topped with kiwis, strawberries, chia seeds, hemp seeds and sunflower seeds]