I can't believe I haven't shared this Plant-Based taco "meat" recipe! It is made with finely chopped cauliflower and walnuts, roasted in the oven with tomato paste and spices.
We love to serve it with soft corn tortillas and lots of colorful toppings. When it comes to tacos, you can get creative with a variety of veggies: shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, corn, cucumbers, spinach, arugula, fresh tomatoes, fresh peppers, sprouts, olives, black beans, avocado, onions, green onions, salsa and this cheeze sauce.
The mix of walnut and cauliflower roasted with the right amount of spices has a satisfying crunchy texture and is definitely teenager-approved! If you have leftovers, you can use them to replace ground meat in any dish.
Recipe adapted from onegreeplanet.org
- 1 medium sized cauliflower, chopped into large chunks including the core
- 1 cup walnuts
- 5 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon tamari (soy sauce or Braggs amino also work fine)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt or to your taste
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper or to your taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 350F
- Chop finely the cauliflower and the walnuts with a good knife
- Add the tomato paste, Tamari (or soy) sauce, and the spices. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture on parchment paper or on a silicone baking sheet.
- Cook for 30 minutes, stir the mixture and cook for 15 more minutes (or more if needed)
Let me know if you try it!